Life with Ella Ireland

Tu-tu's, hair bows, lot's of glitter, and plenty of shoes!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Religion and Faith

I have struggled my entire life to find where I actually fit in. When I was 17, I followed the LDS religion. I think I did that more to fit in with my peers and surroundings, more then I did it for myself. But now, several years later, I still feel "stuck". Religion isn't a part of my marriage, for I married an Athiest. But the handsome Athiest I did marry is the most wonderful person in the world who respects me and my views. He knows I'm my own person, and if I want to join any certain church, he is fine with that. He knows I am raising Ella to believe in God, and he respects that. But is it enough for her just to tell her that there is a God? I feel like I am missing out, and therefore, so is she. Johnny's mom goes to church on Saturday evenings for mass, and has brought Ella a few times.

I guess I need to decide on what religion I want to be, but that is difficult. I don't believe that there is a hell. I don't believe that there is just "one" true church. I don't believe in fasting for any reason- it just isn't healthy for you! I DO believe in Jesus Christ. I do believe that everyone deserves forgiveness for thier sins. I do believe in ghosts and spirits, and would love to "meet" one someday. I don't understand why good people die young. I don't understand how people that claim to love Jesus and follow certain faiths can be so cruel to non-believers. We are all God's people, what makes someone else better then me? I don't understand how Political leaders in any country are fine with seeing human beings struggle so much financially and medically.

I doubt there is a true church for me, maybe I can just make up my own religion. Would anyone consiter being baptised into the church of Brandiism? And by baptised, I mean sitting in a sidewalk cafe in the middle of Paris, sipping a cappiccino, and catching up on celebrity gossip with a good magazine. My church, my rules :). Wanna join?

2 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I think there is a great big difference in religion and spirituality. Religion is man-made and it's a good fit for some - it's like a hospital for your soul. However, you can have faith in a higher power and communicate with that power at any time - not just in church. Where there is good there is evil. That's life. All we can do is to try to understand there is a time and a place for everything. You'll sort it out. Go with your heart and not you head. I love you.
mom

Ariad said...

These are the same questions that many of us ask ourselves. Yes...as Utah grammie said 'go with your heart' it will lead you to your true religion.