Life with Ella Ireland

Tu-tu's, hair bows, lot's of glitter, and plenty of shoes!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Mom is a Blogger, (and other thoughts).......

........And I find it so interesting. In a good way, ofcourse. I am not necessarily surprised, because she does live here on Earth and owns a computer. But it's my mom! I always took her for the more "old fashioned" type. Not in her parenting skills, but more in the technology area. I mean, by the time we got an answering machine, I thought we were the *coolest* people alive! That was until I realized that most households in the US had one years before we did, and we were not that cool. But sometimes my mom does surprise me. I remember when I was about 18, and I was in the car with her. We were flipping radio stations, and I stopped it on a very popular song (popular in the teenage world), and she knew EVERY word! I was like WHOA!? My mom is pretty cool! I had to ofcourse explain later that the song she was singing was about illegal drugs (LOL), but bless her heart, she was still cool to me!

Growing up, I always thought life was so unfair (like most kids). Why did I have a curfew at 15 when neither brother did? Why did I have to call to check-in when I was out having a good time? Why did my parents judge most of my friends when they didn't even know them? Everytime I would argue and complain, my mom always had the same answer: "because you're a girl". I never understood that growing up. So what, I am a girl and Andy is a boy and he still never had a curfew?! Then it all changed on January 15, 2004. The night I gave birth to my own girl. Now I can barely imagine sending her off to preschool, without me with her all day. I can't imagine the day when she wants to stay home by herself, while we run to the store. I ESPECIALLY can't imagine watching her walk out our front door, leaving with friends, out for a fun night. I realize there will be a time when I will have to let her go, and let her experience her own life. And I will......someday. But I look back and remember the hell I put my mom through, and now I understand. I understand the curfew, the check-in calls, and the judging of friends. I now understand why she was so angry (and scared) at me the few times I stayed out all night, completely missing my curfew by several hours. If Ella is anything like I was when she gets a little older, then I am in serious trouble. But through it all, I always thought (and still do) I had the best mom in THE WORLD :)! She is my rock, and I hope Ella sees me EXACTLY how I see my mom. If she does, then I have succeeded.

3 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Well, it's 5:58 in the morning & you have me in tears, AGAIN! But this time, it's tears of pride and the "AhHa!" moment that "she gets it!" I love you and I love Ella so very much. Thanks for giving me a god start to me day!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

...I mean a "good" start to my day!

Miss Mia said...

I meant every word! Having a child changes your life, and having a daughter changes your whole universe! I just hope I can raise her as well as I was raised.